During this implementation period of the Kadey Federation of Community Forests support project in the process of obtaining legality certificates and timber trade, the communities received necessary knowledge enabling them to better implement the projects included in the Simple Management Plan (SMP) through training on the management of revenues and conflicts. Similarly, their abilities on laws and regulations that govern community forests were strengthened allowing them to have the necessary weapons to handle the constraints related to the implementation of the FLEGT legality grid.
The action also helped to involve marginalized people (Baka, women and youths) in the activities of the federation through restitution meetings held in communities after the two workshops held in Batouri on the management of income and texts governing community forests, attended by two representatives from each community.
Training on revenue and conflict management
This first training session on revenue and conflict management was held in Batouri from 28 to 31 July 2014. The training was attended by legal entity members of the Kadey Association of Community Forests. It follows the functioning reinforcement activities of the federation and the first session of the Steering Committee (COPIL) which respectively helped to set up a management team of the federation and gave a new direction in the form of entity that will take the federation.
After four days of activity punctuated by presentations, discussions and group work, the workshop ended with the reading of the minutes.
- A plan on revenue use is developed and made available in every community;
- The 52 representatives of 26 CF members of the federation are best built on the implementation of revenue utilization plan;
- The 52 representatives of the 26 CF members of the federation are best edified on monitoring and evaluation techniques of activities proposed in the SMP;
- The 52 representatives of the 26 CF members of the federation are best edified on conflict management techniques;
- A Conflict Management Committee is set up within the federation.
Capacity building on the appropriation of the legislative and regulatory texts governing community forests
This second training session on legislative and regulatory texts was held in Batouri from 27 to 29 August 2014. The training was attended by 52 representatives of ASFOCKA member associations, the representative of the Divisional Delegate of Forestry and Wildlife, the Divisional Delegate of Environment, Nature Protection and Sustainable Development, economic operators trading partners of forest communities and representatives of Mbang community radio. It follows the first training session which allowed not only to edify the members of ASFOCKA on revenue management and conflict but also to present the first draft of the manual of the ASFOCKA management procedures.
After three days of activity punctuated by presentations, discussions and group work, the following results were obtained:
- A collection of texts governing the management of community forests is available and distributed to participants;
- A checklist drafted from legality grid No. 6 on the exploitation of regulated community forests is available and distributed to participants;
- Members of the Federation and other stakeholders are aware of the laws governing the management of community forests and legality grid No 6;
- The basic texts of the cooperative are available;
- The documents required to obtain a registration certificate are put together.
The workshop ended with the reading of the minutes and the participants now know their stands concerning the regulations.